5) More: * The Jewish people leave Mount Sinai, where they received the Torah, in formation. * The people complain about the food--they want meat. * Moses appoints 70 (significant #) to help manage the people. * Moses' sister gossips about him and gets leprosy as a punishment.
17) "Such words were taken from the Old Persian Pārsa – the name of the people from whom Cyrus the Great of the Achaemenid dynasty stemmed and over whom he first ruled (before he inherited or conquered other Iranian Kingdoms)."
But I thought Iran was the enemy?
18) Why is Iran so important now?
19) "By 515 BC the reinstated Jewish residents had completed building the Second Temple." -- > 3 years after the Zecharia prophecy ends.
@POTUS always talks about things happening "quickly."
22) This week's reading in Zecharia covers 2:14 - 4:7. Broadly speaking, Chapters 1-6 the book are a recap of Jewish history (warning the people to behave); then 8 visions, culminating in the arrival of Messiah.
26) "The Nibiru cataclysm is a supposed disastrous encounter between the Earth and a large planetary object...that certain groups believed would take place in the early 21st century...an Internet hoax."
46) The other spies gave a bad report. Numbers 13:32-33: “The land...is a land that devours its inhabitants...we saw the Nephilim...and we became like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight.”
53) "Joshua was victim of the same sin that plagued much of the nation in the wake of the Babylonian Exile: His sons had married gentile women and Joshua had failed to chastise them."
- p. 1183
54) The "soiled garments" are the gentile (here, we mean idol-worshiping, not Christian, just to be clear) women that Joshua's sons married.
Note - Satan tempts the people to worship idols, and then urges God to judge them badly later.
So Satan serves God and isn't independent.
55) "God defends Joshua on the grounds that he is a firebrand rescued from the flames; he was immersed in the flames of the exile's physical and spiritual destruction, and as such cannot be condemned for the past."
56) "The angel" (Satan is an angel - a messenger - sent to provide us with free will) - "garbs him in the pure vestments and the turban of the high priesthood - but warns him that henceforth he must obey the commandments."
57) We see here the deeper meaning, that those who worship God are part of the Kingdom of God, period, and even are awarded with the priestly service - the purest garments of all.
58) Let's close out with the words the angel says to Joshua.
59) Zecharia 3:9-10
"For mark well this stone which I place b4 Joshua... w/ 7 eyes. I will execute its engraving—declares the LORD...& I will remove that country’s guilt in a single day.
"In that day...u will be inviting each other 2 the shade of vines & fig trees.”
60) It is a vision of peace...but what is the meaning of the stone with the "7 eyes?"
61) Rashi (commentary): "Seven eyes are directed to one stone: It will eventually be widened seven times as much....the Holy One, blessed be He in Whose eyes and heart it is [planned] to add seven times as much."
62) Rashi goes to Zechariah 4:10 to further explain that the whole world will be watching the rebuilding of the Holy Temple.
"He (God) directed His eyes to increase the glory of the Temple in its building"
63)nWhen they see the stone of distinction in the hand of Zerubbabel [who led the Jews back from exile to rebuild the Temple), they shall rejoice. “Those seven are the eyes of the LORD, ranging over the whole earth.”
67) There is a lot more to say about the number 7, and you can read some of it here. But maybe since today is the Sabbath we can close with this, because it explains the significance of the Messiah too--
68) “If 6 stands for the physical creation & 7 for the spiritual in the midst of the physical (Shabbat or Sabbath), then eight stands for that which is completely outside our world...the World to Come."