(translation: New International Version)
"The hand of the Lord was on me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the Lord and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones. He led me back and forth among them, and I saw a great many bones on the floor of the valley, bones that were very dry. He asked me, “Son of man, can these bones live?”
"I said, “Sovereign Lord, you alone know.”
"Then he said to me, “Prophesy to these bones and say to them, ‘Dry bones, hear the word of the Lord! This is what the Sovereign Lord says to these bones: I will make breath[a] enter you, and you will come to life. I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord.’”
....Then he said to me: “Son of man, these bones are the people of Israel. They say, ‘Our bones are dried up and our hope is gone; we are cut off.’ Therefore prophesy and say to them: ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: My people, I am going to open your graves and bring you up from them; I will bring you back to the land of Israel. Then you, my people, will know that I am the Lord, when I open your graves and bring you up from them. I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the Lord have spoken, and I have done it, declares the Lord.’”
"....Hold before their eyes the sticks you have written on and say to them, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I will take the Israelites out of the nations where they have gone. I will gather them from all around and bring them back into their own land. I will make them one nation in the land, on the mountains of Israel. There will be one king over all of them and they will never again be two nations or be divided into two kingdoms. They will no longer defile themselves with their idols and vile images or with any of their offenses, for I will save them from all their sinful backsliding, and I will cleanse them. They will be my people, and I will be their God.
“‘My servant David will be king over them, and they will all have one shepherd. They will follow my laws and be careful to keep my decrees. They will live in the land I gave to my servant Jacob, the land where your ancestors lived. They and their children and their children’s children will live there forever, and David my servant will be their prince forever. I will make a covenant of peace with them; it will be an everlasting covenant. I will establish them and increase their numbers, and I will put my sanctuary among them forever. My dwelling place will be with them; I will be their God, and they will be my people.Then the nations will know that I the Lord make Israel holy, when my sanctuary is among them forever.’”
This question came in on Quora.
I think of branding as a very encompassing term, meaning that it covers all areas of the business. Therefore, these ten areas include many items that are not traditionally thought of as branding in the strict sense. The most logical thing to do, if you're pressed for time, is find one person or company that can connect you to the rest. But if you don't have budget for all of this, you probably want to start with the lowest barrier to entry item, i.e. web and social media, and of course financing and manufacturing. Then you can work your way upward as you evolve.
- Strategy: Why are you in this game? What do you want to get out of it? What are the competitors doing versus what do you have to offer? What are your chances of failure? What don't you want to confront? Where does your greatest hope lie? Who are your allies? How are you going to protect your advantage? In short, think before you leap.
- Research: Who is your audience? How well do you know them? What are their habits? Why should they choose you and not somebody else? How will you change their buying behavior, or introduce your new product as an item of interest?
- Manufacturing: Let's say the demand for your product is huge. How will you make the product and distribute it? Who is going to handle that and how will you ensure quality?
- HR: Do you have the right people behind your brand? If not, how do you recruit them? Retain them? Compensate them? Who will lead day-to-day? Manage? Who are your subject matter experts? Are they the best? What is your work/life arrangement like, for them? Who will be your advisor and call BS to your face?
- Finance and Budget: Who's backing your venture? Can you get funding? If it's just you and your checkbook, know that most new businesses fail. What if you fail? How will you get this endeavor off the ground without losing your shirt? How much money do you have at your disposal and how much will you spend on Item A, Item B, etc.
- Name: What are you going to call your product? What will you call the products related to it? What is the name of the company overall? How do these names fit together?
- Logo Design: What are you going to do that's different and that will get you positive attention from the customers you're trying to reach?
- Patent and trademark: How will you protect your intellectual property? Can you defend your chosen identity symbols? What about your product, how easy is it to copy and how will you protect it?
- Web and Social Media: How will you establish a manageable presence online? Who will staff it, write content and keep it fresh? How will you build community?
- PR: When you're ready to get your name out there, who will do it? How do you know they'll be successful? Where can you get the biggest bang for the buck?
All opinions are the author's own. Photo by Schwedische Botschaft via Flickr Creative Commons.