1. People prefer to do business with people they connect with emotionally. Your postings on Facebook reflect your feelings.
2. People prefer to do business with people they trust. An authentic presence on Facebook shows that you are a real, trustworthy person, rooted in relationships and community.
3. Facebook is easy to use and friendly, while LinkedIn can be difficult to use and feels elitist. The future is about including all, not leaving people out.
4. Facebook provides a lower barrier to entry for honest comments. It is less uncomfortable to be yourself in this environment, where everyone seems to be chiming in and having their say.
5. People increasingly get their news from Facebook, but not from LinkedIn. It is the equivalent of the civic commons, and going forward the line between work and life will be virtually erased.
I am on Facebook at Facebook.com/dossyblumenthal. If you're not insane, feel free to reach out and friend me.
All opinions are my own and do not represent those of my agency or the federal government as a whole.