A woman was almost kidnapped the other day. One of many, probably. Broad daylight, busy street.
She was lucky, but too many others aren't.
So BE AWARE AND ASSERTIVE at all times. Never assume that you're safe. Stay away from trouble. Trust your own common sense. And if you feel endangered, take action to save yourself even if you feel like it makes you look "crazy."
Better that people think you're crazy (they don't), than that you end up seriously hurt or dead.
Remember: A predator will do anything to victimize you. Don't be a victim. Protect yourself and those you know and love.
Please share or repost the tips below, received today (edited for space/readability) I can't vouch for the veracity of the facts, but they seem extremely useful anyway.
10 Personal Safety Tips For Women and Everyone
Source: Unknown, possibly a police officer
1. The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
2. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you and RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, KICK OUT THE BACK TAIL LIGHTS and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy.
4. As soon as you get into your car, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE. Predators watch women who sit in their car. Don't give them the chance to get into the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go.
5. If someone is in the car with a gun to your head, DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM when they tell you to drive off. Instead, GUN THE ENGINE AND SPEED INTO ANYTHING, WRECKING THE CAR. As soon as the car crashes, get out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a ditch.
6. Parking garages are dangerous:
* LOOK AROUND YOU and into your car before getting in.
* Look at the cars parked next to you. If someone is sitting alone in one of them, go back into the building you came from and ask someone to escort you to your vehicle. (This does NOT make you look weak and better safe than dead.)
* If you are parked next to a big van, go in through the passenger door.
Serial killers attack victims by pulling them into their vans when the victim is getting into her car.
7. STAY OUT OF THE STAIRWELL. Always take the elevator instead.
8. Mentally prepare to confront a predator's gun. Prepare yourself to RUN AWAY! If they shoot at you, a running target, they will probably not hit you at all. Even if they do, it probably won't be a vital organ. (Zig-zag if you can.)
9. DON'T BE SYMPATHETIC. Ted Bundy (serial killer) used sympathy against his victims - to trick them into being abducted. For example, don't fall for the "crying baby" scam (someone plays a tape that sounds like a crying baby outside your door, prompting you to open it, and get attacked). Call the police if you want to report a problem.
10. If you wake up in the middle of the night to hear all your taps outside running or what you think is a burst pipe, DO NOT GO OUT TO INVESTIGATE! Criminals turn on all your outside taps so that you will open the door - and then attack.