Based on my own experience:
- Provide structure.
- Stick to the structure.
- Give other people control.
- Ask for negative feedback specifically.
- Laugh at yourself as you inevitably make mistakes -- admit it and go on.
- Do not reinvent the wheel.
- Look to others to contribute their unique skills.
- Encourage the shy.
- Teach technology actively and avidly.
- Be a champion and advocate for people.
- Communicate your passion for the cause.
- Find others who can package your ideas for the mainstream.
- Be sensitive to others' need to be respected.
- Thank people often.
- And finally...understand that God is ultimately behind everything. You can only do your part. (If you don't believe in God then surrender control to the universe.)
We are only human and can only try.
Have a good evening, and good luck!
Originally posted as a comment on GovLoop.